Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

With A Brooklyn Accent: A Fordham Alum Comments on How the University has Changed Since the 1970's

With A Brooklyn Accent: A Fordham Alum Comments on How the University has Changed Since the 1970's:

A Fordham Alum Comments on How the University has Changed Since the 1970's

In the 1970s and '80s, Cammarosano (center) led a campaign for the re-greening of Fordham, helping to restore Edwards Parade to glory.
In the 1970s and ’80s, Cammarosano (center) led a campaign for the re-greening of Fordham, helping to restore Edwards Parade to glory.
Being asked to describe the difference between the Fordham of 1975 to the Fordham of 2015 ,to those in a position to make significant change , was unexpectedly an emotional one. As I answered tough questions which required specific detailed examples, I had to walk through my experience and relationships with not only fellow students,friends and faculty, but the community which Fordham had created for us on and off campus. I lived on campus, worked on campus, participated in social events on and off campus, as we felt as though we were one big family with mutual respect .
As a Biology major,I recall my professors, having an open door policy and were interested in not only your grade,but who you were as a person.My job working with students in local high schools as tutor counselor was because of a program on Fordhams campus,The first Physician assistant I ever met, practiced at an office on the Grand Concourse, where I worked on
Saturdays .I went on to gain invaluable experience about this profession and made friends with the late Dr Milton Reisch and his wife a PA , until his death a few years ago . My challenging Biology degree was reinforced by everything Fordham introduced, exposed and taught us on and off campus . Our education was rich as a result of all of the components which With A Brooklyn Accent: A Fordham Alum Comments on How the University has Changed Since the 1970's: