Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Work Session on Strategic Plan: Not As I Thought

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Work Session on Strategic Plan: Not As I Thought:

Work Session on Strategic Plan: Not As I Thought



This will be a bit rough as I am writing it on the fly.  I feel this is important to get out, though. because it has information on the thinking of every single Board member AND marks a significant change from previous Work Sessions.

Previously, I had heralded this Work Session as "vital"  and I continue to believe that but the meeting itself did not play out as I thought.

Clover Codd and Charles Wright lead the discussion.  Wright noted that it would be his last Work Session as the deputy superintendent (with his departure from the district coming.)  

As I also noted in my notice of this Work Session, the staff presentation was 45 pages long and I thought there would not be much time for discussion.  Codd stated that staff would present the overview and then ask for "warm" and "cool" feedback.  (Warm is "going well or you like the direction" and cool is for not so good.

Wright went thru the presentation in a rapid fashion, noting that, over time, staff realized/knew that a huge list of items in the Strategic Plan was unwieldy and not workable.  He said they got the list down from 90 items to about 33 but 
Seattle Schools Community Forum: Work Session on Strategic Plan: Not As I Thought: