Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Don’t Blame My Students For Society’s Ills | gadflyonthewallblog

Don’t Blame My Students For Society’s Ills | gadflyonthewallblog:

Don’t Blame My Students For Society’s Ills

poverty LOCAL POVERTY GEE
As a public school teacher, I see many things – a multiplicity of the untold and obscure.
On a daily basis, I see the effects of rampant poverty, ignorance and child abuse. I see prejudice, racism and classism. I see sexism, homophobia and religious intolerance.
And hardly any of it comes from my students.
Despite what some people might say in the media, on Facebook or at the local watering hole, the kids are all right. It’s what we, the adults, are doing to them that’s messed up.
It’s always been in fashion for grown-ups to trash the next generation. At least sinceHesiod bemoaned the loss of the Golden Age, we’ve been looking at the current crop of youngsters waiting in the wings to replace us and found them lacking. They just don’t have our drive and motivation. In my day, we had to work harder than they do. If only they’d apply themselves more.
It’s all untrue. In fact, today’s children have it harder than children of the ‘70s and ‘80s did when we were their age! Much harder!
For one thing, we didn’t have high stakes standardized tests hanging over our heads like the Sword of Damocles to the degree these youngsters do. Sure we took standardized assessments but not nearly as many nor did any of them mean as much. In Pennsylvania, the legislature is threatening to withhold my students’ diplomas if they don’t pass all of their Keystone Exams. No one blackmailed me with anything like that when I was a middle schooler. All I had to do was pass my classes. I worried Don’t Blame My Students For Society’s Ills | gadflyonthewallblog: