Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Alabama Teacher of the Year Resigns– The Backstory, Part V | deutsch29

Alabama Teacher of the Year Resigns– The Backstory, Part V | deutsch29:

Alabama Teacher of the Year Resigns– The Backstory, Part V



On November 20, 2015, I traveled to Alabama to extensively interview 2014-15 Alabama Teacher of the Year, Ann Marie Corgill, who had resigned from her fifth grade teaching position with Birmingham City Schools on October 30, 2015.
ann marie corgill 8  
Ann Marie Corgill
It is not as though Corgill decided one day, “I’m tired of this job,” and quit. The series of posts resulting from my four-hour interview with Corgill detail not only the events leading to her resignation, but also her intriguing experiences across two decades of teaching elementary and middle grades in both Alabama and New York.
My series on Corgill is comprised of five posts:
  • Part I: Corgill’s resignation hits the media;
  • Part II: Events leading to Corgill’s resignation;
  • Part III: Corgill becomes Alabama Teacher of the Year;
  • Part IV: Corgill’s years in New York.
This, my final post of the series, involves Corgill’s experiences with professional bullying. This excerpt from our interview is by far the longest, that of a book chapter. This post not only examines the virtually not-discussed issue of teacher and administrative bullying, but also offers readers the opportunity to become acquainted with Corgill in one last, generous, interview-based opportunity.
At some points, I purposely put her on the spot with my questions. As was true throughout our extensive interview, Corgill graciously provides responses to help me Alabama Teacher of the Year Resigns– The Backstory, Part V | deutsch29: