Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 28, 2015

How I Studied the Teaching of History Then and Now | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

How I Studied the Teaching of History Then and Now | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:

How I Studied the Teaching of History Then and Now



From time to time, a few readers ask me how I, as a historian of education, go about collecting and analyzing data about teachers at work in classrooms especially those who have taught many decades ago and those who teach now. In my next book, Teaching History Then and Now: A Story of Stability and Change in Schools, I reconstructed how I taught history at Glenville High School in Cleveland (OH) and Cardozo High School (Washington, D.C.) in the 1950s and 1960s and then returned to those same schools in 2013-2014 to determine how history is taught there now (see here).
This post is for those viewers and curious readers who have asked me the direct question of how I dig into the past and recapture the present in answering the central question I asked in the forthcoming book: What has changed and what has remained the same in the content and pedagogy of high school history?
In carrying out this study to answer that central question, I had to deal with the following methodological issues.  
How did I reconstruct my teaching of history at Glenville and Cardozo High Schools between 1956-1967?
The design of the book is basically two case studies that answer the question: to what degree did the larger context of national and local reform-driven policies influence the teaching of history then and now? I used the common historical methodology of seeking out multiple primary and secondary sources to describe and analyze the macro- and micro-contexts, that is, national movements (e.g., civil rights, the New Social Studies), city and school district settings, and what happened during the decade I taught in Cleveland and Washington, D.C.
Primary sources included district school board minutes, local newspaper articles, How I Studied the Teaching of History Then and Now | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice: