Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Starting with Relationships, Focus on Learning | Connected Principals

Starting with Relationships, Focus on Learning | Connected Principals:



Starting with Relationships, Focus on Learning

This was originally posted by J. Bevacqua on Figuring It Out
Yet another new beginning….
For those that have not heard – next school year brings a new and exciting job opportunity – this time as Principal of Vancouver College – a K-12 Catholic school in Vancouver.
Of course with a new beginning come thoughts of transition.  Lots of thoughts – coming at me at all hours of the day and night!  Needless to say, these past few months have been full of joy and self-reflection.
There have been no shortage of colleagues, family and friends who have expressed their congratulations and best wishes.  There have also been no shortage of questions, such as:
What is your plan?
What are you going to implement?
or the famous…..
What is your plan for technology at the school?
My response to each of these questions has been fairly consistent – my first order of business is to immerse myself in the community and establishing trust in relationships while maintaining a focus on learning.
Like I’ve said before - I believe that trust is the currency of leadership.  To earn and distribute trust I must immerse myself in relationships.
Of course what I’m actually saying is that I need to immerse myself in the culture of the school  - to become fully absorbed in its mission, vision and values.  I need to experience how the mission and values intersect with the underlying assumptions and actions of students, parents and teachers.
I need to hear, see and experience what students, parents and teachers are proud of.  I need to see and witness the successes of students and staff.  I need to bear witness to challenges and triumphs.
And throughout it all - maintain a focus on learning  -  my own learning but of course student, teacher and parent Starting with Relationships, Focus on Learning | Connected Principals: