Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

La. BESE Member Jane Smith to Governor Jindal: Drop CC and PARCC | deutsch29

La. BESE Member Jane Smith to Governor Jindal: Drop CC and PARCC | deutsch29:



La. BESE Member Jane Smith to Governor Jindal: Drop CC and PARCC

June 11, 2014


Below is an open letter written to Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal by Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) member and Jindal-appointee, Jane Smith.
Smith wants to encourage Jindal to follow through on his plans to drop CCSS and PARCC in Louisiana.
Let me add, it is certainly time.

Using the words of the song of the year from the movie, FROZEN, I say, Governor Jindal, “Let it Go!”  Let it Go!”  Let Go of the Common Core and PARCC.
Having spent my entire career in education, I’ve become very concerned about the federal entrenchment and intrusion into our local schools. This entrenchment has been branded as “leading America to new heights of achievement in education.”  While serving as superintendent in my district, I observed over the years how the national education goals were just the wedge and the tool needed to cement a federal presence in local schools.
Upon my recent appointment to BESE, I said that I looked forward to being part of the conversation concerning Common Core  State Standards (CCSS) and related, PARCC tests.  I have spoken with many educators and parents to conclude that these untested ventures are NOT what is best for Louisiana’s children.
If you question that conclusion, then consider this example of “federal intrusion”:  When Indiana pulled out of the CCSS , officials with the U.S. Department of Education told Indiana education leaders that they could lose more than 200 MILLION DOLLARS In Federal support if USDOE did not approve of the local school districts standards. (This was reported in the Washington Times.)  What an unprecedented and disturbing “Federal Intrusion.”
I hope Governor Jindal will “let go” of the untested CC and out-of-state-
La. BESE Member Jane Smith to Governor Jindal: Drop CC and PARCC | deutsch29: