Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

School Is Conservative, Education Is Progressive - Bridging Differences - Education Week

School Is Conservative, Education Is Progressive - Bridging Differences - Education Week:



School Is Conservative, Education Is Progressive

Robert Pondiscio of Democracy Prep concludes his blogging partnership with Deborah Meier today. Deborah will respond on Thursday and then take a one-week blogging break before returning with a new co-blogger the week of April 20.
Dear Deborah,
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.
First, let me wish you a belated happy birthday and thank you for the opportunity to be your blogging partner these last few months.  I've very much appreciated the chance to stretch my thinking on the many issues we've grappled with. I'd also like to thank your many readers for the (mostly) civil give-and-take in the comments section.  I was somewhat reluctant to engage here, I confess.  The comments on too many education blogs and websites can be shrill and strident.  I'm always grateful when people are willing to discuss ideas without vilifying those who disagree. Once the debate shifts from ideas to divining the motivations of those who hold them, I tend to lose interest.  I'm delighted that hasn't happened here.
A few concluding thoughts before I say farewell:
I'm pleased you acknowledge the differences between and among "reformers," even if you do paint with a broad brush from time to time. Within the universe of those I've worked with are some who seek to improve teacher quality or certification, chartering, accountability, testing, standards, curriculum, instruction, and various funding mechanisms, to name but a few.  Some of these are priorities I share, some less so.  But I don't know anyone who wakes up in the morning determined to destroy unions, privatize education, or who sees reform purely as a means to those ends.  If there's a cabal, I haven't been invited.
I'm glad you agree with me—and Grant Wiggins—that change is needed in schools. This is our best and broadest common ground.  Likewise I stand with you, now and always, on the need for a better-educated citizenry.  I'm delighted to have you as an ally in restoring citizenship to its