Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 18, 2014

4-18-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





“The Best Commentaries On The ‘Broken Compass’ Parent Involvement Book”
You might, or might not, be aware of the recent controversy around a new book titled The Broken Compass:Parental Involvement With Children’s Education. Its authors recently had an op-ed in The NY Times reviewing their contention that, basically, all previous research on the value of parent engagement with schools is wrong. Well, I’ve brought together “The Best Commentaries On The ‘Broken Compass’

Guest Post: Commentary On Theory Of Knowledge Oral Presentations
I’ve been publishing guest commentaries on all the changes this year in International Baccalaureate Theory of Knowledge classes, and you can see them all here. And here’s another one! Today’s piece is from Brad Ovenell-Carter. Brad is the director of educational technology and TOK department head at Mulgrave School, an independent, coed K12 IB World School in Vancouver, Canada. Like Mark Twain, h

Differentiating Lessons By “Content, Process or Product”
Differentiating Lessons By “Content, Process or Product” is my latest post at Education Week Teacher. Today’s post features a “power-packed line-up” of guest responses, with Carol Tomlinson, Donalyn Miller and Jeff Charbonneau contributing responses. Here are some excerpts:

April’s Best Tweets — Part Three
Every month I make a few short lists highlighting my choices of the best resources I through (and learned from) Twitter, but didn’t necessarily include them in posts here on my blog. I’ve already shared in earlier posts several new resources I found on Twitter — and where I gave credit to those from whom I learned about them. Those are not included again in post. If you don’t use Twitter, you can


4-17-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Book Reviews – & Shakespeare – In Three PanelsI’ve previously posted about Lisa Brown’s “Three Panel Book Reviews” that formerly appeared in The San Francisco Chronicle. They’re great models for student projects. I recently learned about how another artist uses this “three panel” idea, though Mya Gosling uses it to summ