Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 17, 2014

You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson

You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson:



You’re Nobody ‘Til Somebody Loves You

by JOSE VILSON on MARCH 17, 2014
in JOSE
NotoriousBIG
After a difficult day “at the office,” I sat on my couch and did next to nothing. My e-mail count ran up. My food got cold. My son played with his cars, and, while I partook in a little chasing around the apartment, I soon fell into the couch again, contemplating whether any of the stuff I did outside of school was worth it. A day like this was long overdue, and sleeping it off felt like the only cure.
The morning after, I check my phone. The following came through my e-mail:
Knowing the data and related research as I do one might ask why I still believe in education. After reading This Is Not A Test, I am reminded of why I stay in the field. Through his experience as a teacher and a young man of color growing up in the segregated communities of New York City, Jose Vilson reminds us why education matters. He also shows us that teachers can have a critical voice in the national conversation about the future of public education, and that when they are not afraid, they can use that voice to challenge the reproduction process.
It was Pedro Noguera’s afterword, one he wrote in the middle of his already hectic writing
- See more at: http://thejosevilson.com/youre-nobody-til-somebody-loves/#sthash.n81olCsD.dpuf