Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Setting the Record Straight: Lottie Beebe Does Not Support Common Core | deutsch29

Setting the Record Straight: Lottie Beebe Does Not Support Common Core | deutsch29:



Setting the Record Straight: Lottie Beebe Does Not Support Common Core

March 23, 2014


On March 22, 2014, the Monroe News-Star quoted Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) member and St. Martin Parish Superintendent Lottie Beebe in such a manner as to incorrectly portray Beebe as supporting the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
Beebe does not support CCSS.
In her response below, Beebe clarifies not only her position against CCSS but also her experience and position on a number of so-called education “reform” issues mandated in Louisiana’s classrooms:
I have learned a lesson.  In the future, I will provide a written response to reporter inquiries.  This is my response to Common Core and there may be those who say I sound like a politician. To the contrary, I consider myself a public servant and educator. 
There has been much debate surrounding Common Core Standards.  According to