Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 14, 2014

2-14-14 @ The Chalk Face

@ THE CHALK FACE:








Reformist @teachplus puts out some pretty thin gruel on the impact of testing
Teacher leadership organization and reformist Teach Plus put out a recent study on the amount of time actually spent on testing in urban districts. It’s interesting that so much (relatively, speaking) fanfare surrounded this report because, well, it’s not really all that powerful. After reading through it, Teach Plus seems to want to tip its […]
Another anti-TFA screed for the books
I won’t say that I disagree with the author’s arguments. However: I am white.  I am female.  I was educated at a prestigious university, which included a minor in education.  In essence, I am riddled with privilege.  Do I belong in a classroom in a community of color to which I have no connection and […]
Understanding Privilege (Slack) and Poverty (Scarcity) in a Snow Storm
Understanding Privilege (Slack) and Poverty (Scarcity) in a Snow Storm. via Understanding Privilege (Slack) and Poverty (Scarcity) in a Snow Storm.Filed under: PAUL THOMAS: Becoming Radical
Denying Racism Has an Evidence Problem
Denying Racism Has an Evidence Problem. via Denying Racism Has an Evidence Problem.Filed under: PAUL THOMAS: Becoming Radical


2-13-14 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: King Corn: Common Core SyrupI read an article by Alice Crites about the influence of big business (corn and sugar) on the food policies and productions. I was astounded at how, within the first minute of reading about how BIG BUSINESS manipulates legislation and public perception in food production, I was able to see how that system of corruption […]3 by educationalchemy / 7min 2