Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Fantastic Summative Comment on My Data Mining Post | deutsch29

A Fantastic Summative Comment on My Data Mining Post | deutsch29:

A Fantastic Summative Comment on My Data Mining Post

January 7, 2014


On January 3, 2014, I posted a piece entitled Beware of Data Sharing Cheerleaders Offering WebinarsOn January 5, Diane Ravitch featured the post  on her blog due to the post’s active commentary on both sides of the issue, including that of an inBloom representative.
It is January 7, and the comments are still live (167 comments).
Here is a comment just posted by gitapik. It provides a fine summation of the comments section (well worth the read if one has time):
This is an important thread. I just read through it, again, and started to put some ideas down. It got pretty lengthy, which makes me self conscious. But I still have more to say, lol. I don’t pretend to be an expert, so I’m putting these ideas out for consideration. If I need to be corrected, I will gladly take the heat. I’m all about getting it right for all of us:
===============================================
“You can opt out of sharing your child’s data”.
“Parents have no rights to opt out in practice. I opted out, as did many parents, yet all data, including SSN’s were sent to inBloom, multiple times”.
“inBloom and Amplify doesn’t have student data”
“Both companies do have the data”
These two disparities, alone, display a need for transparent debate. They’re both very important points that require clarification.
================================================
“inBloom will never sell student information, nor will we share it with others unless directed to do so by a state or local customer”
What’s the definition of a “local customer”?
Regarding “…a state…”, please see below.
“Our customers (School Districts) have absolute control over who can access the