Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 7, 2013

What if Common Core Had Followed the Democratic Process? | deutsch29

What if Common Core Had Followed the Democratic Process? | deutsch29:

What if Common Core Had Followed the Democratic Process?

December 7, 2013


On December 2, 2013, I posted a piece that focused on the governor-business hybrid nonprofit, Achieve, Inc. The post also included information on one of the “lead writers” of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), Sue Pimentel.
followed the post on December 3 with CCSS Validation Committee member Sandra Stotsky’s response to my post.
Based upon my CCSS investigations and resulting writings, I maintain that teacher involvement in CCSS development was both peripheral and cosmetic.
In the early morning on December 4, I had a comment on my initial post to the effect that I was wrong, that teachers were indeed a part of the CCSS developmental process. I ended the exchange with the following comment:
Here’s the true test:
Could teachers vote to not adopt CCSS in the first place?
No. It had been decided. Teachers were not “lead architects” and were not even in the