Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 16, 2013

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: Every Kid Needs a Champion: Rita's Words and This Little Girl!

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: Every Kid Needs a Champion: Rita's Words and This Little Girl!:

Every Kid Needs a Champion: Rita's Words and This Little Girl!



That quote inspires me.

This little girl handed me a paper with her Dad and Mom's contact information on it. It had their home phone number, cell phone number,  job number, and email addresses. I said, "I already have this information. Why are they sending it to me again?"

She responded, "Mrs.M, you have to understand, (this is how she speaks), for the past 4 years, my parents have been called for every single thing I did. They can't understand why you are not calling them."

I began on the path of champion for this little girl before she even entered my classroom.   Our relationship began the year before when she approached me with sheets of paper with her ideas for her magazine. Afterwards, I was asked to mentor her, and I tried. At the end of the year, I asked to have her placed in my class. I knew she was a "handful", but I also suspected