Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, November 24, 2013

11-24-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:




More Thanksgiving Resources
Here are more additions to The Best Sites To Learn & Teach About Thanksgiving: Five myths about the Pilgrims is from The Washington Post. Thanksgiving By The Numbers is an infographic from The History Channel. I’ve embedded below, but I don’t think it will come on an RSS Reader: Provided by Nationwide Bank Here are all the Thanksgiving resources from The New York Times Learning Network in on

Video: “Kid President’s 20 Things We Should Say More Often”
This could be a fun and useful video to show to any class, and particularly to a class of English Language Learners:

Infographic: Sustainable Thanksgiving
I’m adding this infographic to The Best Sites To Learn & Teach About Thanksgiving:
Here’s What My IB Theory Of Knowledge Students Did For Their “Ways Of Knowing Final Project”
As regular readers know, in addition to teaching English Language Learners and mainstream classes, I also teach a very diverse International Baccalaureate Theory of Knowledge class that includes students ranging from ones in my ELL classes to full-IB Diploma candidates. I think it’s safe to say it’s great experiences for students and teacher alike. One of the major projects I had students do this
This Week In Web 2.0
In yet another attempt to get at the enormous backlog I have of sites worth , I’ve recently begin a regular feature called “The Week In Web 2.0.” It’ll be a short compilation of new decent sites that are worth noting, but maybe not necessarily worth a separate post… It’s a short post this week: Creating and Using Video is by Edublogs’ Sue Waters, and is one of the most useful posts I’ve seen this


“The Challenger Disaster” Is An Excellent Movie For TOK & Other Classes
“The Challenger Disaster” was shown on the Discovery Channel and The Science Channel last week, and it was an impressive movie. Even though I’ve blogged a lot about Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman, I was not aware of his critical role in determining the cause of that space shuttle disaster. You can see clips from the movie here and read about it this New York Times article. It could
A Collection Of The Best Fun, Yet True, “Said No Teacher Ever” Resources
Last year, John T. Spencer began a great Twitter hashtag called #saidnoteacherever. A lot of people have run with it since. I just learned about a “Said No World Language Teacher Ever” video from Joe Dale, and there are now even “Said No Student Ever” videos. Here’s the one I just learned about through Joe: Here’s one by other teachers. And if you go to watch it on YouTube, people have made some


Videos Of The Week
In yet another effort to get at my backlog of resources to share, I recently began this feature to share useful videos. I’ll still periodically highlight certain ones on their own, but the rest will be found on this regular post: I’m adding this first video to The Best Sites For Learning About New York City (thanks to Michelle Henry for the tip): I’m adding this video to The Best Sites For Learn


Infographic: “Lunches From Around The World”
I’m adding this infographic to The Best Sites For Learning About The World’s Different Cultures: Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually. Infographic by Chef Works
  
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 11-23-13 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAY mark as readNovember’s Infographics & Interactives Galore — Part ThreeThere are just so many good infographics and interactives out there that I’ve begun a new semi-regular feature called “Infographics & Interactives Galore.” You can see others at A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists