Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 20, 2013

10-20-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:

MY LATEST BOOK

51U8vAS3znL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-34,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_
"Classroom Management Q&As: Expert Strategies for Teaching" is an edited compilation from my Ed Week teacher advice column, along with new materials.



Research Studies Of The Week
I often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature: Your Brain Cells S

This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” – October
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in this blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful

Quote Of The Day: “Why Do Teachers Quit?”
Why Do Teachers Quit? is an interesting article in The Atlantic. Here’s an excerpt: I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles About The Importance Of Teacher (& Student) Working Conditions.

More Resources On Brazil
Here are new additions to The Best Sites For Learning About Brazil: Pickup Soccer in Brazil Has an Allure All Its Own is from The New York Times. World Cup 2014: Brazil’s stadiums – interactive is from The Guardian. Here’s a great Prezi created by my talented colleague Elisabeth Johnson. Bear in mind her comment: “I created a Prezi to introduce Brazil because I don’t think our kids realize how pre


Updated Schedule For K-12 Online Conference
I’ve been posting about the upcoming K-12 Online Conference (I’ll be giving a keynote for it next week). Now, you can see an updated schedule. And it sure looks impressive!
More Halloween Resources
Here are new additions to my already lengthy The Best Websites For Learning About Halloween: Where Did the Fear of Poisoned Halloween Candy Come From? is from Smithsonian Magazine. Hidden Spirits: Paranormal Investigation Halloween Game is from The History Channel. Three Cats in Halloween is an online video game. Here is it’s Walkthrough.


Infographic: “Modern Slavery”
I’m adding this infographic to The Best Resources For Learning About Human Trafficking Today: Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

Great Video Clips For ELLs: “The 25 Most Suspenseful Movies Ever Made”
Flavorwire has just posted The 25 Most Suspenseful Movies Ever Made – with video clips! Some wouldn’t be appropriate for classroom use, but many would be great to show English Language Learners and use the various instructional strategies that I talk about in The Best Movie Scenes To Use For English-Language Development. Here’s one: Thanks to Michelle Henry for the tip.



Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 10-19-13 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAYWow! What A Treasure Trove Of InfographicsInformation Is Beautiful, the world’s premiere resource for infographics, has just announced their 2013 Longlist for infographic and interactive awards. It’s an amazing collection. You might also be interested in last year’s nominees, too.9 by Larry