Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

NYC Educator: Home Improvement At It's Finest

NYC Educator: Home Improvement At It's Finest:

Home Improvement At It's Finest

That legend comes off a truck I passed, and I thought, "I won't be calling those guys anytime soon. Perhaps we can overlook capitalizing "at," but how can they be the finest if they can't even get a possessive pronoun right? Couldn't they at least get someone to check that truck before putting it out on the street?"

But maybe I'm being too hard on them. Who knows? Maybe they can put up a roof better than anyone. Lord knows virtually anyone could do it better than I could.

I once taught my wife to drive. It was a disaster. She almost drove into the canal. But before I got her to finally stop, she did some serious damage to my car.

When I brought it into the body shop, the guys were highly amused I was a teacher. "Oh, he's a teacher. What does he know?"

And their assumption, a very good one, was that I knew nothing about how to fix cars. I have to admit they did very good work, and seemed to take it easy on me. But there's a dual-edged sword there--first, they need to treat me well. However, they only needed to do that because as a teacher, I must be supremely ignorant. After all, do they teach you to do body work in school? If they don't, what's the