Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Anti-Ed Reform History – from my perspective (Part I) | Crazy Crawfish's Blog

Anti-Ed Reform History – from my perspective (Part I) | Crazy Crawfish's Blog:

Anti-Ed Reform History – from my perspective (Part I)

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jason France. I am a product of the Louisiana public school system, an LSU graduate, a father of public school children in Louisiana, an erstwhile Louisiana Department of Education employee, and a blogger. While I am sometimes jokingly characterize myself as an intrepid anti-education-reform revolutionary, I am anything but! Until very recently I’ve kept my identity secret; to keep myself, my family and my friends from being targeted by the forces that seek to profit from and annihilate our public education system.
But I get ahead of myself, first let me start at what I consider the beginning.
In 2005 Hurricane Katrina reminded us all just how fragile life can be. In just days New Orleans, one of America’s oldest and most revered cities, was drowned in a sea of death and hopelessness. Many of us nearby, but outside the worst of the destruction, watched helplessly as the storm blew ashore, watched as color drained from the faces of evacuees who took refuge with us. After losing TV signals we used our hand cranked radios to listen to reports trickling in. There was nothing we could do for our friends. Many good folks had to relocate, many never to return even to this day. Amidst this destruction the Recovery School District (RSD) was born.
Politicians took to the airwaves pledging support and renewal; a second chance; a new beginning. New Orleans