Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 30, 2013

UPDATE: Rebranding Rahm. + “Good morning Senator Martinez. Vote no.” | Fred Klonsky

“Good morning Senator Martinez. Vote no.” | Fred Klonsky:

Guess who’s coming to dinner? “The problem is not these white babies up north. They’re not the problem. They deserve a world-class education, but so do our babies.”

pritzker-protest-0530
Parents and students from three South Side schools slated to close gather outside Pritzker Elementary School in Wicker Park, after trying to enroll there, but being told the school has a 


Rebranding Rahm.

rebranding
“It is a new beginning. We are putting the past behind us, it is time to turn the page,” said CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett.
Hmmmm.
Not so fast.
With at least three federal court challenges to the largest school closing in American history, the past is still the present and the future. The communities, the parents, the students and the teachers are not quite ready to turn the page yet.
That’s what is happening in the courts.
There is also what is happening in the streets.
Chicago Summer: Everything from acts of civil disobedience to massive 

“Good morning Senator Martinez. Vote no.”

I interrupted my coffee long enough to place another call to my State Senator, Democrat Iris Martinez.
These calls have gotten easier now that there are 48 hours left in the state legislative session.
Unlike some of my friends, I don’t get tired of this. It’s part of my morning routine. Shower. Dress. Walk the dog. Pour some coffee. Call Senator Martinez or Representative Toni Berrios. Or both.
At 7AM Senator Martinez wasn’t in the office yet.
I left a message.
Good morning Senator Martinez! This is Fred Klonsky.” And I left my phone number. “As you know, I am a