Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

UPDATE: #blogtalkradio: A primer of sorts + Thinkers or Test Takers? – @ THE CHALK FACE knows SCHOOLS MATTER

Thinkers or Test Takers? – @ THE CHALK FACE knows SCHOOLS MATTER:




At the Chalk Face on #blogtalkradio: A primer of sorts

We have to brag a little bit. The weekly radio show makes us unique because it supports the commentary we do, and vice versa. We work our BEE-hinds off to bring everyone stories and conversations that don’t get covered, related to education and public schools. In addition to our weekly shows at 6PM EST on [...]



The palpable racism of school closures

There I said it. School closure policies are racist. Not necessarily bigoted, but indeed racist. Look up the difference.

Thinkers or Test Takers?

Here are the thoughts from a colleague, John Borden, after the first day of the New York State ELA Assessment last week:
 
On Tuesday, the ten and eleven year old children in my class began taking the 2013 Grade Five Common Core English Language Arts Test. The students had 90 minutes to read a number of passages and answer multiple choice questions. These passages, with their increased “rigor,” challenged the children to read carefully and think critically about what they read before attempting to answer the questions.
For about 45 minutes I watched my students read the passages, often more than once. I watched them pause after each paragraph to think about what they had read. I watched them take notes. I watched them highlight. I watched them 

Of Partisanship and Education “Reform”

This is a different topic for me.  I would rather write about teaching, parenting, and what’s best for kids.  But I’m often asked about my affiliations, my political leanings, and my feelings about other issues.  First, there is no other issue right now for me.  I feel a sense of urgency about the course of [...]