Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Teacher quality at KIPP | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

Teacher quality at KIPP | Gary Rubinstein's Blog:


Teacher quality at KIPP

I’ve written a bunch of posts about my visit to the KIPP high school in New York city over the past few months.  The first was a general summary and, since then, I’ve gotten more deeply into some of the things I learned there.  I thought the school was just OK.  As we always hear that charter schools thrive because they have high quality teachers that they give flexibility too in return for accountability, I want to, in this post, describe the teaching I saw there.
Over the years I’ve worked, from time to time, as a teacher trainer for both TFA and for The New York City Teaching Fellows.  I think my favorite part of those jobs was watching the trainees teach and then providing detailed feedback of the strengths and weaknesses of their practice.  I spent the entire day at KIPP and popped in and out of classes at will, getting to see about twenty different teachers in my visit.
The KIPP teachers only teach four classes a day with class sizes between ten and twenty students.  This is a very light schedule and it certainly costs a lot of  money to have such a low student teacher ratio.  I don’t know if