Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, March 21, 2013

UPDATE: Jim Webb on Congressional Abdication Daily Kos: Because I have nothing better to do with my time right now

Daily Kos: Because I have nothing better to do with my time right now:


Jim Webb on Congressional Abdication

Some here may remember that I was very active in the Senatorial campaign of Jim Webb against George Allen in 2006.  Besides the fact that I could not stand Allen, my reasons included several things often overlooked when people rallied around Webb because of his opposition to the Bush administration's invasion of Iraq:
1.  Webb wanted to rebuild the American middle class
2.  Webb wanted to see a restoration of the proper balance between the Congress and he Executive Branch, particularly on matter of the military, diplomacy and war and peace.
Webb has always been a thoughtful and articulate writer.   Thus I want to call to the attention of this community a new piece he has up at The National Interest titled Congressional Abdication. The title refers to the Congress not exercising its proper role in matters of national security and diplomacy.
To give a sense of the article, allow me to offer this paragraph in particular:
This is not the same Congress that eventually asserted itself so strongly into the debate over the Vietnam War when I was serving on the battlefield of that war as a Marine infantry officer. It is not 

Because I have nothing better to do with my time right now

Popout




Happy Bach Day To You

in honor of the birth,in 1685, of Johann Sebastian, may I offer this:

Popout
and if you don't want to listen for the full performance of this, I will offer a few more selections below the cheese doodle