Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 3, 2012

Special Late Nite Cap UPDATE 12-3-12 #SOSCHAT #EDCHAT #P2



Nite Cap UPDATE

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE


Great Reading

I’d like a moratorium on publishing any more good books—so I could catch up.  Even if restricted to books on current educational dilemmas from my viewpoint, I can’t catch up.  So over the next week I plan to share four books I’ve been eading about schools and reform, and one “booklet”.  .   There are at least a dozen others that I probably also should read—and will soon.
In no particular order, I’ll start with:

Mrs. Cook: Teacher of the Year, “Unsatisfactory”

I published a post with a photo of a teacher who was named Teacher of the Year by her colleagues but found “unsatisfactory” or “ineffective” by the value-added methods of her state. I knew her name–Mrs. Cook–but nothing more.


Through a Child’s Eyes

I had the distinct pleasure to spend some time earlier this week as the guest reader in a second grade classroom. The night before, I took time to carefully select my two books to share with the class. When I read to primary students I always grab a Dr. Seuss book – I simply love reading Dr. Seuss. I also grabbed a seasonal book – this time I brought What Snowmen do at Night. As the district’s educational leader I spent some time talking about the importance of reading – not just reading books . . . simply reading.
Talking with six-year-old students is a rare treat for a superintendent. I love hearing their experiences, listening to 




Louisiana Voucher Program’s Financing Is Ruled Unconstitutional

A state district judge ruled that the way in which Louisiana finances the new program is unconstitutional. Gov. Bobby Jindal called the decision “wrongheaded” and vowed to appeal.




School cooks, supervisors steamed at new federal food law

Along with added paperwork, some school districts don’t like the requirement that lunchroom employees put at least half a cup of fruits or vegetable on every student’s plate.




School districts in Portland metro area look to Legislature for local option levy fix

The result is exactly what parents such as Kittelson hoped to avoid: The Tigard-Tualatin School District drained the district's rainy day fund and cut more than 23 teaching positions.


Bill to speed up teacher dismissals is revived

A state senator has reintroduced legislation intended to speed the dismissal of teachers for gross misconduct.
Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Pacoima) acted in the wake of a state audit concluding that current laws added excessive cost and time to the firing process.
“The state auditor confirms that the dismissal process established in state law is inconsistent, too lengthy, too costly and delays the timely resolution of child-abuse cases,” Padilla said in a statement. “I believe strongly that