Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 17, 2012

"I told them ... I love you all very much." | Mother Jones

"I told them ... I love you all very much." | Mother Jones:


"I told them ... I love you all very much."

A dispatch from Newtown father Ross MacDonald.

| Sun Dec. 16, 2012 11:37 AM PST
By Newtown father and MoJo contributing illustrator Ross MacDonald Drawger

A first grade teacher sheltered her students in a closet, listening to gunshots in the hallway outside. Fearing the worst, she said she wanted these tiny 6 and 7 year olds to know that somebody loved them, and for that to be the last thing they heard, not the gunshots. Other teachers and staff risked their lives and died trying to protect children. They literally ran out without hesitation to warn others, to pull students to safety, and to put themselves between the bullets and the children.
Their incredible selflessness and bravery saved many childrens' lives. Thinking about that is helping to hold up the crushing weight of the rest of that horrible, tragic day. Because we can't stop thinking about it. I wanted to do something to help somehow, but feel pretty helpless. The only thing I can do right now is draw. It's not going to help, but I wanted to be doing something.
I'd like to dedicate this image to the teachers and students of Sandy Hook Elementary School. We live in Newtown. Our daughter Daisy goes to Newtown Middle School, and our son Jamie is a senior at Newtown High School. A lot of friends, relatives and colleagues have texted and called and emailed over the last day to find out if we're okay, to express their grief and horror, and to send love and support. We are very grateful for all the thoughts and wishes. A lot of people have also wanted to know more information. I think everyone is desperately trying to