Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Jersey Jazzman: Statement of Newark Teachers Against the New Contract

Jersey Jazzman: Statement of Newark Teachers Against the New Contract:


Statement of Newark Teachers Against the New Contract

I'm reposting the entire statement of the NEWCaucus - a group of teachers who were against the Newark teachers contract - here, mostly because I don't think they've been treated fairly in the press and they deserve to have their voices heard. (It's also probably easier to read it here, as they put out their statement in a GoogleDoc.)

I will save my comments for another post.

Now that we have a contract, do you have questions like:
What do I do if I feel I have been unfairly evaluated under the new evaluation system?
Under the new tenure law, what happens to me if I am or have been EWP’ed?
What do we do when Cami Anderson announces new school closings and “turnaround” schools in the spring?
If you have questions like these, won’t you join us - the Newark Education Workers (NEW) Caucus – to improve public education for all, and continue reading the below. 
The Newark Education Workers (NEW) Caucus acknowledges the passing of the contract by