Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: International Day of the Girl

Seattle Schools Community Forum: International Day of the Girl:


International Day of the Girl

Yes, it's a calendar day just for girls. To that end, CNN asked prominent women what they would tell their 15-year old selves.

What a huge question.  I far like myself better now than at 15.  I think that if, at that time, there had been more "you go girl" mentality, I would have been a stronger person.  If there had been more sports for girls, I would have been the athlete and not the person cheering on the sidelines.  (But I was a feminist even then and never let a boy tell me I couldn't do something.)

What would I say to my 15-year old self -

Be bold, be brave, you are not what other people say about you, appreciate your mother more and stay true to yourself.  Don't hold a grudge but remember, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.  Learn from mistakes and realize you will ALWAYS make them.  (And, there are a lot of boys in the sea; don't waste time pining over just one.)   And, as Scarlett O'Hara said, tomorrow is another day. 

Here are a few of the best CNN quotes:

Do not fear failure.  Do not let negative experiences - and there are always plenty - get in your way.  In your life, many things - especially the biggest heartbreaks - will only make sense as you look back, not as you are