Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 19, 2012

My letter to Obama. « Fred Klonsky

My letter to Obama. « Fred Klonsky:


My letter to Obama.

The educational historian Diane Ravitch asked us all to send a letter to President Obama on October 17th.
Dear President Obama,
I retired from teaching on June 8, 2012.
I started my teaching career at the age of 38 in 1984.
My teaching career took me from A Nation at Risk to the Race to the Top.
You are a person who works in what I know to be an atmosphere of constant crises. And so I wonder how do you think that feels when it is children and teachers working in that kind of atmosphere? Not a world leader. Not a head of state. But six and seven-year olds. And the adults who are charged with teaching and caring for them, working in a constant atmosphere of crisis.
Years ago when I would meet folks for the first time and told them I was a K-5 Art teacher I would get a smile. They would tell me how much fun I must have doing what I do. And if there interest