Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Evergreen Park teachers hit the bricks over salary and evaluations. « Fred Klonsky

Evergreen Park teachers hit the bricks over salary and evaluations. « Fred Klonsky:


Evergreen Park teachers hit the bricks over salary and evaluations.


Union teachers in Evergreen Park, a south suburban working class school district,  are walking the picket lines this morning.
It is the third Chicago area teacher strike in the past month. Highland Park and Crystal Lake may be next.
They follow Lake Forest. And of course, Chicago.
The strike is over two issues. Salary and benefits are a usual sticking point in negotiations. Evergreen Park has


Tony at the Red Line Tap.


“What the hell are you doing here?” I said to Tony as I walked into the Tap Room in Sawyer, Michigan.
Anne and I have been renting a cottage in Union Pier for the month of October. The Greenbush Tap Room is a microbrewery that has been open for a couple of years over in Sawyer. About five minutes north off of Red Arrow Highway.
“Klonsky, my man! Take a seat.”
“Let me have that Belgian-style ale,” I told the young bearded hipster-type that was serving that afternoon.
“So, Tony. What are you doing here?”
“I’m having a beer. Actually, I have had more than one.”