Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Daily Kos: Nick Kristof tells us more about Scott and Obamacare

Daily Kos: Nick Kristof tells us more about Scott and Obamacare:


Nick Kristof tells us more about Scott and Obamacare

in a piece titled Scott’s Story and the Election. He wrote this in part because of the response he got from readers after they read his first piece on Scott, about which I previously wrote in Nick Kristof offers a personal story of why we need Obamacare.
We saw the selfishness that has become too endemic, in part because of conservative rhetoric, in responses Kristof received.
For example:
“Your friend made a foolish choice, and actions have consequences,” one reader said in a Twitter message.
  And also this:
“Not sure why I’m to feel guilty about your friend’s problem,” Terry from Oregon wrote on my blog. “I take care of myself and mine, and I am not responsible for anyone else.
  Those are mild compared to someone named Bruce who argued in part
Extreme age and debility, patients so sick, old, demented, weak, that if families had to pay one-tenth the cost of keeping the poor souls alive, they would instantly see that it was money wasted."
To his credit, Kristof takes a different viewpoint, which I explore below.