Global.png
The strike may be over, but the fight for public education is not.
As a Chicago Public School teacher, I am elated to be back at work educating my students. I thank all the parents, community members and friends who supported us in our fight for a fair contract. By coming together, we were able to negotiate a contract that values arts schools, acknowledges the effects classroom size and conditions have on teaching, and recognizes the limits of standardized test scores as a way to evaluate teachers and assess their worth.
Although I am proud of what we achieved, I worry about what will happen in a few weeks, when the Chicago Teachers Union strike has become old news. Will the public realize that across Chicago, many schools will have to start a fight for their livelihood? As it stands now,