Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Another view on charter amendment: Goal in Georgia ought to be cooperation, not competition. | Get Schooled

Another view on charter amendment: Goal in Georgia ought to be cooperation, not competition. | Get Schooled:




Another view on charter amendment: Goal in Georgia ought to be cooperation, not competition.

Here is a piece from Jim Arnold, a frequent contributor to this space. Per my comment yesterday, I am going to start running more of the many commentaries that I’m receiving on the Nov. 6 charter school amendment vote.
Yesterday’s piece urged support of the amendment.  This essay argues the opposite.
Arnold points out something I learned after my first year on the AJC editorial board — people want schools to solve many varied problems. As the editorial writer who wrote about education issues for the AJC, I met with groups who wanted schools to teach character education, civics and the Bible. I met with folks who wanted schools to educate kids on head injuries, safe sex and allergies. I met with proponents of more recess, art, music, PE, drama and foreign languages.  I met with parents who wanted longer summers and shorter summers or longer school days and shorter days. I met with advocates who wanted to abolish pre-k or who wanted to expand it to 3-year-olds.
There was a …