Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 16, 2012

Finding Hope in a Dark Time « Diane Ravitch's blog

Finding Hope in a Dark Time « Diane Ravitch's blog:


Finding Hope in a Dark Time

A reader sent this comment in response to the moving post by another teacher:
Thank you Diane. Your blog gives me hope.
As a student, I often had to read books I was assigned. Most of them I disliked but one high school English teacher require my class to read Viktor Frankl’s, “Man’s Search For Meaning”. This book moved me greatly. The author, a survivor of four concentration camps, describes his experiences in honest detail.
Whenever I have experienced the effects of oppressive authority, I find a connection to the contents of this book.
Here’s is a compelling excerpt:
“One evening, when we were already resting on the floor of our hut, dead tired, soup bowls in hand, a fellow prisoner rushed in and asked us to run out to the assembly grounds and see the wonderful sunset. Standing