Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

More Thoughts on LAUSD, Standards and Evaluation « InterACT

More Thoughts on LAUSD, Standards and Evaluation « InterACT:


More Thoughts on LAUSD, Standards and Evaluation

In my prior post, I explained why I’m not holding my breath with any expectation of huge changes in California following from the recent court ruling on teacher evaluations in Los Angeles Unified.  In this post, I add some additional reflections on why the judge’s order won’t produce significant, statewide changes, at least in the next several years.
I’ve already noted that despite the Stull Act’s provisions concerning student test scores in teacher evaluation, and their enthusiastic support from certain circles, many leading nations, states, districts, and private schools have demonstrated that using student test scores is entirely unnecessary in elevating teaching quality.  Part of the reason for that assertion is that the tests themselves are of such poor quality.  However, it’s also worth noting that the state is in the process of changing over to new Common Core standards, and new assessments.  I don’t expect many districts or unions are ready for protracted negotiations over the use of an assessment