Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Daily Kos: now 66 and counting . . .

Daily Kos: now 66 and counting . . .:


now 66 and counting . . .

66 does not seem as if it should be a momentous birthday.  Except for those of us reaching that age now, it means we are eligible for our full Social Security benefits (except I chose to begin to receive mine at the start of the calendar year, taking cash now and taking a small hit over time).
I am also this weekend heading to a college reunion, also not necessarily a momentous one.  This will be the 45th of my original class.
And yet, for many of us, whether we are 66 or more likely 67, we are at a major transition in our lives.  Many of my classmates have preceded me in retirement.
And yet, we are not yet done.  I know I am not, even as I remain unsure of what the future may hold.
As this day has approached, I have reflected, as I do each year.
I choose to begin this day by sharing some of that reflection.