Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Washington State Democratic Party Chairman Dwight Pelz speaks up on ed reform | Seattle Education

Washington State Democratic Party Chairman Dwight Pelz speaks up on ed reform | Seattle Education:

Washington State Democratic Party Chairman Dwight Pelz speaks up on ed reform

To follow is an open letter from Washington State’s Democratic Party Chairman Dwight Pelz:

A Democrat For Education

Count me as a Democrat opposed to the most strident elements of so-called Education Reform. Let me be clear that I am not opposed to high standards, high achievement, or accountability. What I reject is the culture of scapegoating teachers for the failures of society to protect families and kids, the hypocrisy of defunding schools while corporations bank record profits, and the focus on the latest fads instead of long term, structural improvements.

MY WIFE THE TEACHER

First, let me point out that my wife is a teacher. She leaves the house every morning at 5:30 and comes home