Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

School Tech Connect: The Crane Deal

School Tech Connect: The Crane Deal:

The Crane Deal

Very mixed feelings about the apparent deal to keep Crane as a neighborhood high school. The one thing I know for sure is that I have faith in the Crane Coalition's judgment.

I guess my questions are these: is it still a neighborhood school for kids who aren't interested in health careers? If I'm a poet or an astronomer, will those doors still be open to me? And what does it mean to be focused on health careers in the age of the Common Core Standards? Isn't a great deal of the curriculum already set by David Coleman? If I'm a health-careers high school, am I still going to be measured morning, noon, and night on every microgain or loss on reading and math scores?

The other question I always ask is this: if they turned New Trier into a health career high school, how would that