Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, February 5, 2012

A City Education: A Positive School Environment Can Keep Students Motivated - Education - GOOD

A City Education: A Positive School Environment Can Keep Students Motivated - Education - GOOD:

A City Education: A Positive School Environment Can Keep Students Motivated

MLK.day
In our A City Education series, two City Year corps members share their experiences working as tutors and mentors in schools in hopes of closing the achievement gap and ending the dropout crisis.

In high school, the back wall of my French classroom was painted with a Paris scene prominently featuring the Eiffel Tower. Instead of a blank wall, I saw a place I wanted to visit. The visual sent me the message that if I kept studying hard, one day I would be able to walk those streets and speak the language.

As a City Year corps member, I spend much of my day helping students with their academics, whether through in-class support, literacy interventions, or after-school homework help. We also try to help create a positive