Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 21, 2012

How to Pick a Student Power Campus « Student Activism

How to Pick a Student Power Campus « Student Activism:

How to Pick a Student Power Campus

I was recently asked a really interesting question by a Canadian student activist, and I’ve received permission to share it, and my answer, with you all.

His question:

I’ve been looking into starting graduate school in 2013. I found myself naturally drawn to [a private college in New England] but after some basic research I get the feeling that despite their claims of championing social justice & democracy, there does not seem to be a legitimate accredited representative student body on campus. I find myself doubting that I will ever be able to truly enjoy my educational experience at a school that doesn’t have progressive/radical student representation.

So my question to you is: do you have a basic list of some schools in the states that have such representation? I know the Student Union model varies quite intensively between Canada and the USA, but