Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 31, 2011

An Urban Teacher's Education: Life Learnings: 2011

An Urban Teacher's Education: Life Learnings: 2011:

Life Learnings: 2011

Another year down and it's time, once again, to reflect on the things I've learned, both in teaching and in life. In2009, most of my learning was about the corruption and disgusting nature of gritty inner-city politics. In 2010, I spent a lot of time reflecting on what constitutes real(,) valuable(,) meaningful knowledge and how we go about acquiring that and passing it on.

In 2011 I finished teaching in New York, spent the summer looking for a job, and finally moved out to Washington State to work in the Highline School District just south of Seattle. And this is what I learned along the way:

1) No matter how long you've taught, being new to a school will always make for a stressful year

Here I am in my sixth year of teaching. You would think I'd be starting to get a hold on it by now, that I might be halfway decent. You know, have a few tricks up my sleeve. But here I am, once again, in a new school feeling like a novice. It's true; I'm not completely oblivious to the fundamental things that make the classroom work. (Thank god I'm not a new new teacher, one of those who's new to the whole idea of teaching.) But I'm still stuck