Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 2, 2011

What Happened to My Grade Book?: Sign Ideas for Public Education Supporters at #occupywallstreet

What Happened to My Grade Book?: Sign Ideas for Public Education Supporters at #occupywallstreet:

Sign Ideas for Public Education Supporters at #occupywallstreet

If I could be at Occupy Wall Street I would! I was thrilled to hear the A.F.T. is supporting the movement. Since I cannot be there, I offer inspiration and support through ideas for signs.

Here you go. Please tweet me your ideas and I'll add them to the list!

Learning

Learning is a quest, an adventure, an exploration, NEVER a race

Do we want our schools to produce thinkers?
Or, do we want our schools to rank and sort students

Learning theory is not a mystery.
Teachers know how to facilitate learning in schools.
Listen to the professionals.

Standards

Standards-based reform started with President H.W. Bush questionably tied to MacGraw Hill. Corporate interests stronghold is in the assessments.


Standards are for blueberries, not children.

Standards are not about learning.
Standards are about corporate interests, power, control and money.

Standards have no foundation in learning theory.
Their foundation is from a business model.

Ruport Murdoch sees public schools as a gold mine.
Keep him away from our public schools.
Don't allow digital learning standards.

Standards are not conducive to Constructivist Theory.

Standards are not expectations for students.
They are limitations for learning.



High-Stakes Assessments

Assessments done by the teacher and his/her students are authentic.
A Publishing Giant's assessments are profitable.

Assessments that take weeks to administer filled with students thoughts and reflections are