Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Daily Kos: I rarely agree with Tom Friedman

Daily Kos: I rarely agree with Tom Friedman:

I rarely agree with Tom Friedman

but one part of his column in today's New York Times caught my attention, and I'd like to focus on it if I may:

We need to focus on four reforms that don’t require new bureaucracies to implement. 1) If a bank is too big to fail, it is too big and needs to be broken up. We can’t risk another trillion-dollar bailout. 2) If your bank’s deposits are federally insured by U.S. taxpayers, you can’t do any proprietary trading with those deposits — period. 3) Derivatives have to be traded on transparent exchanges where we can see if another A.I.G. is building up enormous risk. 4) Finally, an idea from the blogosphere: U.S. congressmen should have to dress like Nascar drivers and wear the logos of all the banks, investment banks, insurance companies and real estate firms that they’re taking money from. The public needs to know.

Let me comment on these points one at a time, at the same time as I also note one other line from the column:

Why are there 61 members on the House Committee on Financial Services? So many congressmen want to be in a position to sell votes to Wall Street.

And what do we get? The best government for the financial services community that their money can buy.

On to the four points.