Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Always Power To The People [Exponentially Important] | The Jose Vilson

Always Power To The People [Exponentially Important] | The Jose Vilson:

Always Power To The People [Exponentially Important]

Power To The People (c/o artbackwash.blogspot)

John T. Spencer is quickly becoming one of my favorite people to quote. Observe:

Whether it’s exponents or square roots, you can’t deny that it’s powers to the people. #andthathastocountforsomething

Classic stuff. He said this when I revealed my current unit, exponents, to Twitter. I’ve been more focused on pedagogy lately because that stuff matters. Further, I’m finding that, as I’m growing into this educator business, I see the benefits of sharing stuff more than keeping my practice to myself.

For instance, two weeks ago, I decided to give a reflection sheet to my students to end the unit on percents. I tried “journaling” and found myself with far too many papers and not enough feedback from students about their actual learning. Thus, I created a one-pager with questions from some of the discussions we’ve had in class. Then, I ended it with a metacognitive piece asking students what they thought they could do to improve the