Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Virginia Teacher's "Top Ten Reasons Why I'm Marching"

Virginia Teacher's "Top Ten Reasons Why I'm Marching"

Virginia Teacher’s “Top Ten Reasons Why I’m Marching”

Guest post by Tracey Martin, who is a first grade teacher, grade-level team leader, and mom from Virginia. She is a graduate of Penn State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Kindergarten and Elementary Education.
Top Ten Reasons Why I am Marching on Washington on July 30 with Save our Schools

1. I want kids to have a rich, developmentally appropriate curriculum taught by dedicated, highly-qualified teachers who love what they do. I want teachers with good instincts and the ability to think on their feet versusteachers who will follow a script and make sure things “look good” when administrators visit. Learning is messy and a bit chaotic. I want teachers who relish some mess and chaos and know what to do with a teachable moment. Those teachable moments rarely have a scripted anticipatory set, people.

2. I don’t want kids to be tested to death. Kids under nine don’t even standardized-test reliably. Yet, we do it.