Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Daily Kos: A brief Saturday night reflection

Daily Kos: A brief Saturday night reflection

A brief Saturday night reflection

written in my room at the Daytona Beach Hilton, where I am in the midst of reading/scoring AP US Government tests - thru June 8.

First, I realized very much how much of a teacher I am. I miss my students. I missed graduation yesterday, missed saying goodbye to the students.

Second - we have a real problem in that our students do not know how to communicate through writing. This is evident after having been through almost 1200 exams on the same question. No, a Free Response Question does not require deathless prose, but far too many of what I have waded through is at best semi-coherent, with poor organization (let's not even touch the question of grammar). This is a DIRECT RESULT of No Child Left