Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 28, 2011

A parent’s point of view | Defend Wisconsin #WIUNION

A parent’s point of view | Defend Wisconsin

A parent’s point of view

Before February, you could go to any school playground and hear parents discussing their kids, the weather, and maybe a little gossip. Once the Budget Repair Bill was introduced, though, talk got a little more serious – politics and the future of their children and their teachers.

“Prior to this series of events I was largely apathetic about politics but now I find myself unable to watch television other than the news,” said Brittany, a Madison public school parent. “Seeing how wrong one bad election can go has me feeling passionate about getting out the vote in a way I have never been before.”

“In the recent election I made sure to vote and encourage others to vote, as well,” Brittany said. “While financially I was unable to contribute, I shared information from progressive groups with people who were able to make contributions to campaigns and recall efforts.”

Brittany said that all the parents she talked to supported the teachers’ unions, because the unions helped good teachers stay in Wisconsin and good college students become teachers.

“Most of us were involved directly in protesting whenever we could,” Brittany said. “We also built a network