Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, April 28, 2011

An Educator’s Opinion Should Matter! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

An Educator’s Opinion Should Matter! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

An Educator’s Opinion Should Matter!

Because I was on Spring Break, my son and I took a trip to New York City, to visit family and friends. One of my stops was the school I taught at for 15 years before moving to Delaware. There were about 8 teachers still there from the time I taught. I was disappointed, not in the teachers, they were still doing their job. I have been gone since 1998, and the classrooms still looked the same. Unless I missed it, I didn’t see a Smartboard, an Elmo, a projector, or any of the basic tech tools. They have a tech person, but only two laptop carts per floor, and this is a huge school. I was wondering why , in a city based in New York City, there weren’t signs of 21st century classrooms all over the building. Where is the money going? Who is in charge?

As I perused my email from my LinkedIn Technology Integration Education group this morning, I came across an article, “NY Parents Seek 100 Million From Bloomberg Over Schools” Apparently the mayor nominated his friend, Cathie Black, who had no credentials or experience, to be the school chancellor,