Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Isaac Graves: Bill Ayers And Other School Experts On Education Equality

Isaac Graves: Bill Ayers And Other School Experts On Education Equality

Bill Ayers And Other School Experts On Education Equality

As a leader within the alternative and democratic education community, I am frequently asked the question, "What is democratic education?" When I was a teenager, and at that time a recent graduate of a democratic school, I used to give a fairly dogmatic and uninviting response which included a bullet point list of requirements to be "democratic." Surprisingly, this was not an effective method to talk about what I was most passionate about. This style of communication disappeared as I grew up and my experience as an organizer and educator evolved. I learned to approach individuals humbly, listen genuinely, internalize and digest, respond gently and with care, share what is true for me, and not feel as though I needed to provide answers and solutions. I learned what I try to teach the young people in my life today -- how to meaningfully and authentically communicate and be in community with others while honoring one's own unique self and needs. When asked, "What is democratic education?" today, I am excited to share my