Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Education Race Man On Black History Month 2011 (Exhibit V) | The Jose Vilson

The Education Race Man On Black History Month 2011 (Exhibit V) | The Jose Vilson

The Education Race Man On Black History Month 2011 (Exhibit V)

by JOSE on FEBRUARY 22, 2011

Glory, by Rory Amor

Normally, I don’t start posts like this, but imagine my annoyance at another misinformed message regarding Black History Month, this time from an unlikely source. Not sure who first posted it, but in the video, Morgan Freeman asserts two points:

  1. Black history is American history, so we shouldn’t relegate the history to a month. To an extent, it’s true, but then …
  2. The best way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it. Just refer to others as their names and that’s all there is to it.

I love Morgan Freeman, but I hope that doesn’t soften my critique of his position about the influence of race in our country, and from my point of view, the way we school (and educate) children of color. First, Carter G. Woodson first created Negro History Week to ensure that people didn’t forget that Black history was a part of