Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 27, 2011

On My Hometown, Or, Why I Became An Education Writer - Dana Goldstein

On My Hometown, Or, Why I Became An Education Writer - Dana Goldstein

On My Hometown, Or, Why I Became An Education Writer

My alma mater

I became an education writer, in large part, because I attended the public schools in Ossining, New York. Due to a unique integration/busing program that has been maintained throughout the decades, even as other districts reverted to segregated neighborhood schools, the district is currently 39 percent Hispanic, 38 percent white, 18 percent black, and 5 percent Asian. About a third of students are eligible for reduced-price or free lunch.

So day after day for the 13 most formative years of my life, I (and every other kid in the Ossining schools) saw up close the achievement gap between middle class, mostly white students and